San Carlos Borromeo de Monterey, also referred to as the San Carlos Cathedral, was founded by Father Junipero Serra on June 3, 1770 as the cornerstone of his Mission. It is also California’s first cathedral, a status it first acquired in 1849 when Bishop Joseph Alemany chose it as the seat for the diocese of Monterey.
It is the oldest continuously functioning church and the first stone building in the State of California. It is California’s first cathedral and stands for the birth of Carmel Mission and Monterey, the first capital of California.
The church is open all day, every day for visitors.